Religious Ridiculous
*Sorry if this offends anyone. This is my space to rant.*
So this past weekend, Zdog went home to attend a friend's wedding and to spend time with his parents. Apparently, my MIL had a long talk with him. Regarding my stubbornness and reluctance to 'receive Tao'.
So what is the big deal? Well, I have MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR problem with people trying to force their religion down my throat. I don't care what it is, how good the intention. The end does not justify the mean.
Poor Zdog, he is caught in the middle and I am unlikely to relent. I will respect his parents. However that does not give them the right to tell me what to do. It is one thing to guide and to influence for good. It is another to use force and high pressure tactic in the name of doing good.
Zdog warned me,
1. this is a trivial matter, just do it so we can have peace
2. because mother is very persistent, she won't let go until you give in
3. your life will be miserable if you don't give in
4. my life will be miserable because of your stubbornness
(he really know how to entice me...)
BIL tried to persuade me,
1. to appease parents
2. the path of least resistance
3. a good compromise because it costs me nothing
4. receiving Tao doesn't mean joining the religion because you can go on doing as you were
5. and don't forget the benefits of having one's inner wisdom opened and get "Three Treasures"
(ooo, free treasures, sign me up...right...)
MIL attempted the scare tactic, "If you love him you'll do this for him. Because when we die, we are all going to heaven and you'll be left alone."
(WHAT!)
FIL gave the perfect example, "Your mom didn't believe back then. So, Grandma took all of you, still babies, without her consent, and received tao. This is right thing and the best thing ever. See, even mother has turned around and is a believer now."
(WHAT the HECK!!!)
I was and still am speechless. I didn't make this up. What kind of family did I get myself into? The only sane person is my dear SIL. I love her. She is the only one who dared to stick her neck out and defend me.
This past Christmas, they took me to the temple and set an English speaking volunteer on me. She spent over an hour telling me how grateful that she found Tao, how her life was void and now Tao has changed her life etc.
SHE: "I can tell you how good Coca cola tastes, but you won't know 'til you try."
I: "But, I have to want to taste Coca cola. You can't force me to drink."
SHE: "Well, you are not seeking then."
I: "I am seeking. But everyone has to find their own path. You found it yourself, no one forced it on you."
So, what is this I-kuan Tao business you ask? Go here for the basic facts. Go here for what it is about.
I don't have problem with the basic precepts. They are very Chinese culture-centric. I do have problem with the implementation, as I do with most organized religions. I can pick it apart but I won't. Since it isn't my intention to put down any religion. Let's just say I am a firm believer in meritocracy. One shouldn't have to join a membership or have family connections to go to heaven. And, most importantly, one will do good deeds and practice good will because it is the right thing to do. Not because of any potential rewards.
And please. Mother Teresa didn't "receive Tao." But she sure dedicated her life to helping lives around the world. Buddha never "received Tao" from an authorized master. Does the Pope need to receive Tao? Dalai Lama should find himself an authorized master so he can receive Tao. If anyone needs to receive Tao, I think George W. Bush needs it. So, what is the point of receiving Tao? To use their own words,
There is no external force that makes us keep the promises and commitments that we made while we receiving Tao. The only force comes from the guilty feelings that result from our misbehaviors, which reduces the mistakes we make.
I don't need to promise anyone to do good. I have my own guilty conscience. I don't need to "receive Tao" to have a guilty conscience. So, what is the point of receiving Tao if it isn't to be initiated to I-kuan Tao?
Yep, I expect I'll have a miserable life. And if I have babies, I probably should expect them to be kidnapped to receive Tao. Because it is perfectly fine, in some people's opinion, to do so against the mother's wish. And it'll be the best thing ever.
Now that I have got that off of my chest, I'll go count my blessings...
Labels: Life rants


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home